Tuesday 3 December 2013

3rd December 2013


Nightmare is the only way I can describe it today. For some reason the usual area is no longer suitable for the selling of furries, so the cages were stuck round by the caged bird and dead stock sale.  The crowd were in the way as they were bidding on the bird sale... and the pens were spread all over the place. I made a quick inventory and found 26 pens of pigs. The first ones were midway through so I might have popped along to the tat sale.... bought a few boxes and then wondered what the hell I was going to do with them as I was on my own. Doh!

Anyway, the first pigs through were what appears to be old breeding stock- big chunky sows that were in a bit of a mess but holding their weight, so must have been well looked after somewhere. I bought those that had no bids, and one that had a first bid only. They were mostly sows as I say but there was also a youngish boar. They are abys, texels and perus. Gorgeous. But smelly.

The next run was in a different block, and directly in front of the dead stock. Difficult for bidders on both sides  To my knowledge not one lot was sold. They were all in from dealers and had reserves on. I'd earmarked one I wanted as it had a mark on its side but I didn't bid at the time as I wanted to take a closer look and I knew I could talk to the seller afterwards. When that block had done everyone walked away, as they do. Then the auctioneer says he's got sheets for more, it turned out there were 9 more cages across the way and tagged onto the poultry lines. So there were three people watching.... I got half, a dealer got a couple and a decent looking family had two. These were mainly sows, nothing special but healthy enough.

I bought the marked baby from the dealer afterwards, and a couple of other babies. Also two from the 2nd dealer that looked in need of tlc. It's tough as I want to take them all back, but it's just not possible or advisable. 




No comments:

Post a Comment