Tuesday 26 November 2013

26th November 2013

Got a different auctioneer again, I want the old one back!! I got conned on the first lot sold because I hadn't worked out his style, he's shouting 'a pound a pound...' so I said yes, and he points at me and says two pound....oi, bring back the 50p's!!

Anyway, back to the tale of yesterday.... I bought this chap, he's a semi adult boar, aby type. Very pretty and sane to handle. I also took lot 3 back with me, this time I made sure the man with the hammer took my bid as ONE pound...and no one else bid afterwards. He is a smooth coated semi adult boar, well marked and is now living with lot no. 1 at Avalon.

There was a run of rabbits, and then a dealer run. As we've said before we will buy from dealers only if the animals are in distress or worry us, all these were well and looked ok, I would love to have brought all the babies home with me, but sentiment won't help stop the production of replacements if I buy them. Two or three lots sold.

The next 'block' of piggies started with two aby type youngsters, about 4 months old at a guess. They are brindle in colour and healthy, cost £2 they are home with Shaz now.

But the next block were all mismarked 'kickouts' from a show breeder and I gave myself a sharp talking to about what I am doing buying these so I sat on my hands. I have a personal issue with this seller. 


Excess show stock MUST NOT be dumped through a low class market like this. The breeder should be asking the rescue to rehome and offering a donation, not expecting Avalon to buy them and save the cost of keeping them for the breeder. 


But perhaps some good has come from yesterday. All but 2 pens did not receive a bid, so the breeder was asked to pick them back up. I am persistent, and I found out who this breeder was, and I have my fingers crossed that no more will go into the market from now on, due to Shaz's hard work in finding a solution. Time will tell. I do still have unanswered questions about this breeder though, I am looking at the pen tag on my desk that says Boar 3 months/Sow 11 weeks. Breeding pair. Sold together (to Avalon thank God). Completely unacceptable. *sigh*
I then bought a black and white sow, in really good condition and carrying good weight, not apparently pregnant. I do wonder why this type arrive at the market, looks like a pet that's no longer wanted? Or an older barren sow?
All other pigs received bids, there were no obviously in pig sows, nor problems visible immediately. At the end of the sale I did buy 4 young boars from another dealer. Basically because I didn't want to see them being dropped into a box when removed from the pens.  And yes, I mean dropped. I paid £6 for the 4 of them. One was supposed to have been fighting with another and has cuts on him....err nope, it's fungal, several patches of it. Will disappear soon enough though.
So although the boss said she's bursting (cages not bladder) I filled more cages with boars. I feel so bad.
Not.
Anyone thinking about taking on a rescue pig....go now, there are some absolutely stunning ones in!
The photos are a reminder to you just how horrid it must be to be a guinea pig in an auction


No comments:

Post a Comment