Tuesday 5 November 2013

November 05th, 2013

With no other forthcoming offers of assistance, I was once again on my own! This makes it very difficult to look, check, buy and remove any stock.

If you can spare an hour I would appreciate it. 

I was pretty depressed when I arrived as there were 28 pens of pigs in. And I know Shaz has Avalon fit to bursting and that most of the stock entered were boars, notoriously hard to accommodate in numbers. I listed them and went for breakfast and to have a chat with Shaz to see what we should do.
It was decided to try and remove any in-pig sows, very tiny babies and any that were completely unwanted. The usual dealer had about 10 pens in, all with decent reserves on and they didn't sell. One contained a tiny sow that was listed as 'mated', another a fuzzy baby boar who had been in the previous week with possible litter mate. I was too busy to grab him after the auction then, but I did so this week. He has a bad case of fungal near his eye, and a major case of attitude! He's not very big, but will benefit from decent care now.
I also bought the sow carrying babies afterwards, I doubt she will survive the pregnancy but everything is crossed. She's only a baby herself.
There was a guy buying early lots at very low prices, but I left them to him as he looked well dressed, had shiny shoes and looked to be caring. There are no guarantees but I hope he's an ok person. They were carefully put into carriers afterwards so I stand by my decision.
Just before the start of the auction a woman had come with around 8 lots and caged them. Mostly babies, all cross breeds but she'd put water, feed and veg in the cages. So if you are caring why are you trying to squeeze a quid out of the rescue instead of donating them directly?! These pigs are obviously surplus to the breeding program, as were the American Cresteds that again appeared. These are regular, mainly boars, and obviously from a breeder who is producing for show. 


Don't breed if you can't find homes for mismarked stock

They will make nice pets, seem well handled and don't deserve to go through the stress of the sales. This seller also included a 'breeding pair'. Right. Both are well enough but very young. Who's to say they are unrelated? This person doesn't give a toss. I have kept the hand written cards, at some point I'll find the person selling them and ensure she gets my opinion of her dumping unwanted stock through the markets without reserve. 

Anyway, I bought the 'pair', and a handful of the mismarked boys. I also bought 4 of the lots from the late comer, these are terrified and hardly handled but although smelly they are in good condition. One jumps like a kangaroo, leapt out of the box at Shaz's while we were watching! Shaz had to catch him, I was having a fit of the giggles  He did the same again, he's now called Harry Houdini.
So apologies to Shaz for bringing back mostly boars again, I refused the cost refund as I figured she could put that money towards their food.

Pass the word around that cavies can be sourced from an honest rescue instead of P@H, not only will they be cheaper but you'll have help, advice and more chance they will be suitable (and correctly sexed!!) 

We need to get some of these young boars out into families, I know you all have lives and your own piggies, but maybe you could make room for a couple of the rehomers, handle them daily and check they are suitable, and then help find them find a new family? If each of us did this we would take the pressure off Shaz and Avalon, and then more like Mr Fungal or Mr Mouldy as he's already been known can come and be treated and the discomfort taken away. I've been doing this, taking a few boar pairs, bringing them into our madhouse so they are more acquainted to noise and stress, and they have gone to friends as family pets.

Once the 'owners' are happy the pigs are suitable I've been taking a donation to Avalon, the first lot arrived last night and will be sent on to help towards the winter feed bill.
As Tesco say...Every Little Helps. Have I said that before?

No comments:

Post a Comment