Tuesday 22 October 2013

October 22nd, 2013

Not my usual service, I was at the auction alone, so had to rely on the market staff to help. I have got to know them now and they were great. I couldn't get near the pens as it was school holidays and the place was rammed with children and families, and had to wait for my lead from the auctioneer when a pig came through! There were about 75 pens, around 20 of which were pigs.

The first run fetched good money, most went immediately into the box of a beaming child. The next run didn't, and most came to me. I don't see why some fetch more than others, the ones I have brought away are cute, funky, boys and girls and worth more than the £1 each I paid. I also bought a sow and babies for £2. Appalling price really. 


She is in good condition, unfortunately her babies are NOT tiny and they are boars. You know what happens next !


I watched a few others go through at over a fiver, I feel at that price someone is keen so the pigs have a decent chance, there are no guarantees.
Then I bought two at £5 each, that was the reserve. First was a long haired lilac boar, the image of my Dougal here so thought he'd better come back with me. On removal from the pen, I found he has a swollen and infected front foot, I know Shaz will help him out so very glad I did buy him.
The other was a 'rex' sow. She is tiny, depressed and barely struggling. Her coat is appalling and very sore, and she has a pot belly which may or may not be offspring  She is far too small to be in pig so I really hope not. Again I'm glad I bought her.

I bought 3 more pigs, semi adult boars at £1 each. Nicely marked and healthy looking. There were 3 lots towards the end of the auction, they looked like satin stock and were listed as 'unsexed'....they were a decent size, my impression was of the whole lot being boars as there were 2,3 & 4 in the pens....they went mad for them, going for over £28 for the 4, and £20 for the 3.

I also took 6 adults from one of the dealers. I originally said no as I was worried about overloading Avalon with adult males, but a quick look in showed several had skin issues and they would be better treated so home they came. One, a beautiful gold lad, had what looked like a dropping half stuck into his bottom.... gross I know but I wasn't happy leaving him like that so the poor lad had to endure me holding him under the water tap to try and lever the mass off/out. I suspect it started as a sore and the droppings stuck to it, but how it wasn't badly infected I'll never know, must have felt awful to the poor guy. Although the area looked stretched afterwards it did look clean, fingers crossed he'll be ok now. 

So Avalon has new inmates, a few needing treatment but am hopeful all will be ok. Total purchases of £24.20 plus £15. I know Shaz has started administering medicines already so they will have cost more in the end but am glad the two poorly ones have got a safe future now.





No comments:

Post a Comment