Wednesday 9 October 2013

October 09th, 2013

Seems it was Jolly Boys Outing at the market yesterday, the place was filled with couples and families. They mostly had boxes prepared and were obviously determined to squabble over the pigs in the auction!
There were 11 pens, with a couple that contained 2 babies. I bought 2 of the first four lots, both boars and both showing signs of having either a skin complaint or fighting in the past as they had patches of regrowing hair. Both very skittish but very pretty. I paid £1 and £3.50. Don't usually go that high for a boar but one of the dealers put a £2 bid in and I decided he was coming home with me

Both of the other boars made more than that and went into the prepared boxes. Out of the next lot I only bought a black rex sow, supposedly in pig but she looks more like an older girl who's had plenty so is the wrong shape now. Time will tell. She was £5.50. Three of the other pens made £10+ for a single pig, which is very unusual, all were popular and most went to private people.

I was asked by two dealers to take a look at pigs not entered in the auction, the first was a dealer I am unhappy about but am willing to be as amenable as possible if it means extracting animals.
They had 2 boars which I agreed to take at £2.50 each. They were unhappy they hadn't entered them as the prices were high, it's obvious they thought they would get a pound in the auction and my £2.50 was a better option!

The other dealer I like. She shows caring and tact with the animals she is bringing and buying, the best you can hope for. She had two baby sows, which would have made a fair amount in that auction but she was happy for me to do the best for them at £4 each.

So the home was more important that money, a nice change. She also asked if I would take another sow for nothing. This was a white approx. 3 month old girl, who is blind in both eyes and also has a very sore area around one. She looked very miserable 

Of course I brought her back to Shaz, again i'm pleased the dealer has given her to the rescue, many would have just used her to breed from regardless. So the day cost £23 plus £2.30 commission and we brought home 8 pigs. I say 'the day cost.....' but actually it also cost fuel, £3.50 parking and my breakfast  Nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment