Tuesday 10 December 2013

10th December 2013


From one extreme to another! I'm suffering (again!) so forgot my bidding card and notepad, but walked down anyway knowing I'd have to fork out for a replacement. I'm putting my forgetting it down to being ill rather than old and stupid.
I found the sales were round by the birds again, which had ended early, AND that they were about to start before 11am.... but a quick scan found just 15 pens and only 5 of those were pigs, all from a known dealer that has reserves on. So I let them be and went tat hunting. Might have overdosed on garden tools, anyone need any? Be prepared for Spring? Proceeds to Avalon!

When I returned 2 pens had sold, leaving one sow pen and two of boars. The two cute, older boars were being negotiated and were bought by an unknown buyer who looked decent, so that left two pens, 4 piggies. I haggled and bought these. The dealer knows me well and knows that I make no money from them, so she's happier letting them go for less. The two girls are about 10 weeks old, sweet enough but have mites and fungal. The boys are possibly a bit younger and again have fungal. Not a problem now, will soon be sorted.

Then another dealer pulled me aside, she's a very fair person and had a group of young boys she wanted me to have, hence not putting them through the auction. So all 12 came home with me! Such a change to see money taking second place to the best for the animals. These are rex/aby/smooth coated, variety of colours and in good condition. Homes required for them once they have been fully checked over so please help if you can. They are scared and submissive, and would bond easily with other boars. Try to give them a chance if you can, we don't ask you to take a group or all of them, but every little helps. It's my new motto.

One more week and then a fortnight off from the sales, although i'm looking forward to the break I'm also conscious some pigs will have longer to endure before we can have them.

Please, please, try and help rehoming those suitable so we can help those in desperate need.





No comments:

Post a Comment