Tuesday 25 February 2014

25th February 2014

From the sublime to the ridiculous. About 20 pens of pigs in today, thinner crowd but still running alongside the bird auction. Thought the day might be strange when the first two pens of 2 had a £10 reserve on them, and didn't sell. Then a buyer asked to purchase them 2 lots later.... this buyer went on to buy another run of paired babies (unsexed) Then also bought all the dealers' at their reserves, and with a couple of exceptions they also had all the other lots A couple were close to minimum bid, some were several pounds more. Boars and sows alike.
Now, we go to the auctions to buy unwell or young stock, or those who appear in pig and also anything that is not wanted. So I came home empty handed. I have no opinion on the buyer today, I have seen them around before but not seen them grabbing so many. At first I thought perhaps they were buying babies for shop resale, but why so many older boars too? But they handled the pigs well, and seemed ok so I have to hope their intentions are as good as they can be.
Many thanks to my able assistants today who did little other than trot backwards and works watching for the start of the sales! But thank you very much for making the effort and joining me. Hopefully now you have seen what we try to do I can send you on any days I can't make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment