Tuesday 11 February 2014

11th February 2014

Ok, it's winter now! Had to contend with a hail/rain/snow storm when we were at the auction today, boy was it cold! The cages are of course undercover but they are metal and i'm sure very cold for the pigs. Luckily there were not many in today, the usual run from the dealer and then a group from an unknown seller. All those sold, but just one pen from the dealer was sold through the auction. I was happy to let them go for reasonable amounts as usual, but there was a buyer who did their very utmost to obscure a pen and stop others getting close. Me being me I decided to run them up Then I decided I would rather have them myself They are two aby sows, listed as in pig. I figured them and their unborn babies would be better off with Avalon! Very sweet, but completely terrified. They are still sat in the same place in their overnight b&b, not made any attempt to even nibble the fruit/veg/food. I've left them now, and will see what they take overnight.
I also bought a small choc/white boar and two sows from the dealer. One sow is small and about 2 months old, the other is bigger and apparently 'mated'. Wouldn't be a surprise if both were. I got the boar because he is sweet, and because I like to take one from them when I can. It is a good idea not to alienate the dealers completely as from the inside there is a chance to re educate. I have explained about the fungal, and now when one is suffering they bring them to me. Not ideal, but the main thing is the pigs are then receiving treatment rather than suffering on.
Total cost today: £10 (plus commission) for the two abys, £4 each for the sows and £2 for the little boar. These two groups are eating and are bright and alert 





No comments:

Post a Comment