Tuesday 21 January 2014

21st January 2014


There was not much in today. Some from the usual dealer with reserves on (non sold) and a few others spotted about.

I was gutted that one pen was amongst a run of rabbits and I missed them. They were a trio of pets, no sex listed, and our manky friend (See below*) got them. I put the first bid in and several bids went above so I left them- I hadn't spotted him bidding. He tried for a mum and two babies as well so I carried on and got them so he didn't. The same went for a boar, I put a pound on and he bid on it as well. So, although I don't make a habit of it, I went until I got him. He's very nice, I guess that's why he was wanted.

Different again from last week, no one much bidding and prices low all round.

I also got 4 other young boars, all a bit scabby but with good weight on.


(* There are some very unscrupulous dealer/breeders out there who buy the pigs cheaply at the market, overbreed them and sell what they can. Sadly many of these dealer/breeders have no concern for animal welfare and we often see the consequences of their irresponsible breeding. One of these dealer/breeders is a regular at the market and is usually trying to get sows (especially the pregnant ones) as cheaply as possible. For more information on our "friend" click here. Please be aware that the contents of the article may be distressing for some readers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment