Tuesday 14 January 2014

14th January 2014

Bad timing meant I had the farrier on the yard at 10.30, but we whittled the list down and got things sorted so my other half could stay and I dashed down to the market.

The sale now starts after the birds have finished, there is no time specified and it all depends on how many lots there are in the bird auction. So at 11.30 the furry sales were in full swing and we arrived puffing and blowing!!

The first 19 lots were all rabbits luckily, so we had time for a quick scout around. There were 19 pens of pigs, a mixture of adults and babies. There were also a few bidders I haven't seen before, along with the usual suspects. The bidding was furious and went far higher than usual, the early lots were sows so I figured that was why, but then the boys were going for high prices too! They were making £10/£18 for a pair of sows, and £8/£15 for two boars. Bearing in mind there have been unwanted pigs of both sexes in the last month I just sat and watched! One bidder bought quite a few, I will watch out for them in the future.

I put one bid in for a pair of boars, but was quickly topped and they went for well above what is probably their value, the rest I watched. Until the last lot....One ginger & white big boy. They didn't give him a second glance so I bought him back for Avalon for the usual pound. He's actually rather nice, very squishy and no trouble at all. I might have forgotten to get pictures of him though  Shaz...your turn!

I also took two older boars from the very nice dealer, they are in beautiful condition but probably old enough that they will be hard to rehome, we all know how tough it is with adult males. So they are staying with me.

So a quiet week, which I am sure Shaz is appreciative of!

If anyone else can spare an hour or two for market duty that would be great, it's very hard to ignore the rest of our life here to go every week, but I do worry what will happen to those no one wants.

Help/assistance/company would be very welcome, you could even tie it in with an hour in Shaz's sow shed having your shoelaces destroyed!


No comments:

Post a Comment