Tuesday 24 September 2013

Melton rescue

Twenty (20) pens of guinea pigs today! Many had padlocks on and the pigs were hidden under the straw so absolutely no chance of viewing beforehand, you were buying blind. I don't know if that was the reason, but the first 7 lots came to me at the minimum bid, £1 plus commission. They turned out to be in ok condition, a mixed bunch but all fine.

Then came 3 lots of pairs. Two lots were babies, the third lot was, what appeared to be, 'dad' with another youngster. They would probably be about 4 weeks old, one or two underweight but otherwise ok. They came to me for £1, £3 and £2. Again there were 3 lots of pairs, all red mismarked American crested. There have been so many of these recently they must be from a local breeder. I paid £2, £2 & £1. Then 2 more single semi adult boars, both £1 each. Bit of a break whilst they sold bunnies, then another boar (£1) and a single sow, allegedly in pig, white with black eyeliner. Really sweet! Paid £6.50 for her, Shaz and I had talked about the in pig and just delivered ones going back into the breeding cycle and we'd agreed to get them if we possibly could.
Then a pen of mum plus 3 sow babies, about 4 weeks old. The dealers' eyes lit up so I got determined and had to pay £10 to get them. The very last pig lot was three adults, I hadn't spotted them so they must have arrived late, but they were very popular and fetched £21. At that I would hope they were more than dealers would pay, and indeed they went to a couple with a decent carrier so hopefully they will be ok. So with commission I paid out almost £50, for 26 guinea pigs. I'm happy to foot some of that as my little bit for the animals' rescue, I hope those of you that donate can see how your money is helping to remove unwanted boars and very wanted breeding sows away from the dodgy dealers.


We cannot end the cycle, but we can help those pigs that we come across

Many of the pigs are smelly, coated in urine and with nails buried in dried on muck. They are now safe, in clean surroundings and once paired up and quarantined hopefully they will find long term homes as family pets.

Some are very very cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment